Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Itsy-Bitsy Spider

Down came the rain, indeed.




Damn, I don't think I have a screen shot, and that is a shame, because since I'm #29'th choice out of 10-man team, if that, I may not get another chance to go back in there. I signed up for the new Firelands raid instance, figuring that since we were all new and learning together, it would be a fun and safe time to see what's what.* When I said something to the guildmaster about, "Are we there yet?" the response was "We? Who is we?" or something to that effect, I realized that I may not be included. I did get to go, only because one of the solid players wasn't on-line, in fact, two of our best players couldn't make it, so I got a spot. I am not happy about that they couldn't make it, not at all, but I guess even ugly stepsisters get a chance to go out once in awhile. It was with the clear understanding that if either one of them showed up, I would be asked to go, and was I okay with that. Sure. I'm okay with that. The guild members who have paid their dues and have more experience have earned their places a hundred times over. (Blizzard doesn't allow for a lot of middle ground on this one: you're either doing raiding or not. There is no variance for learning curve. A player must know everything, it seems, before going into any new situation, about what abilities they should use in every situation: that is the high nerd-rage end of the spectrum. The other end allows for more cooperative strategies. And I would imagine every guild, every group, usually slides between the two variances at any given situational moment.)

Oh: let me know if you want to know what you can and can't hex or elemental bind. I've got your back. 

The Firelands Raid say it's "outdoors," which is kind of like saying going on a picnic with Satan. Sure, there is an atmosphere, but damn, that brimstone...your buns will get toasted.

Beth'Tilac, The Red Widow. is a crazy fight, too. It is a Cirque Du Soleil level of a performance from first impressions: little spiders, medium, large, and there are spinners you must climb up, and in the center of it all, The Red Widow. Before you can say "Charlotte's Web," you'd better put on your contortionist face and start spraying pesticide.



It was a lot of fun though. There is a double-edged sword, however: because it was "Patch Day" many of the add-ons weren't functioning. We all went in there somewhat blind, without the benefits and blaring of GTFO, or Recount. It was kind of refreshing in a way, just to strategize, not worry about DPS races, and figure out which thing to kill first. Gulidmaster is very good at this, and very good at listening to players' suggestions.

The GM and GO made up a fun game, an entertaining distraction between mobs. Oh, and by the way, I won! It was word game, category: "alcohol." I have never actually had most of the drinks (never has a Rusty Nail or Brandy Alexander crossed my lips). I am a reader, and that's how I knew. Yes, I have read bartending guides. Want something to wash the taste of spider guts out of your mouth? This might do the trick, a Chocolate Martini:

A Chocolate Martini—7 Square Restaurant, New York City
Ingredients
2 oz. vodka
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 oz. Frangelico
4 oz. chilled hot chocolate

Directions: Combine all ingredients in a shaker with ice, shake, and pour into a stemmed glass. To make it even sweeter, dip the rim of the glass in honey and then in cookie crumbs


http://thejetsetgirls.blogspot.com/2011/05/cosmos-official-cocktail-book.html

I realize that my younger guildmates see me as this, and I cheated because of age:




For some guidance:
http://25man.com/firelands/bethtilac
Videos/For the Horde: http://manaflask.com/article/902/the-first-firelands-ptr-raid-in-picture-form


*There are a lot of great blogs written from the guildmasters' perspectives. Frustration with players' performances, attitudes, demands, etc. It occurred to me this morning that I am relating the other side, well, at least my side, from what it's like to be a newer player, to want to hang with the big dogs, and what obstacles we face. Mostly, the biggest obstacle is truth, and the truth hurts. I do mash the keyboard when I am in a tough fight. I do lose sight of some buff or debuff. But I also try my damnedest to listen to instructions. When the boss says "Kill the red X" I will go kill the Red X. I am the Spider Killer in my house, hobo, black widow, whatever. Have shoe, will squash.


Art-of-the-Day;
Stumbled across this manipulated image (found it intriguing):



ChrissieCool/Deviant Art

Postscripts:
No one can abstract-random like I can.
I am consciously making an editorial decision to create 'guild mates' as a compound word, 'guildmates.' I realize it is grammatically incorrect, but I can try to start language trends, too, can't I?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment!