Sunday, March 24, 2013

Tiny Story Time: Woman's Work

Her heart beat in constant pain, a phantom limb, her heart, her left side; he was gone. She was at his right side for a truncated eternity; she would never stop being his wife, even if his mortal life was over. Her sons were safe, Giramar and Galdarin, well--her motherly instincts told her they were at least alive. Safety is never truth. Her vows to her husband took precedence over her own broken heart: she vowed to assist Jaina in whatever way she could. That one fight, though, produced a small lie, that she was fine, unhurt, it was nothing, but she knew something was wrong. She had to keep fighting though. Others may rest from the battle: she never would.


Ako rests from battle: Ceniza would not, as neither would Vareesa or Jaina. 


Writer's Comments:
In all the discussions about the Twin Consorts, I am certain someone before I noticed, and wrote about two very strong women heroines in Azeroth: Jaina Proudmoore and Vereesa Windrunner. I completely agree with Erinys' thesis about the Pygmalion aspect of the Twins: but they are just that: meant to be destroyed like the clay-footed statues they are. However, Jaina and Vareesa, the 'flesh and blood' characters, are just begging their own apotheosis. These two female characters directly, encouragingly, and without falter, lead the Silver Covenant and allies through the battlefields. I know who's in control, who's in charge, and willingly would walk over hot coals and pick up Saurok feces for them.

And this is not a rant, this is not hysteria, this is merely an observation: many people believe that women cannot get along with one another, and I must admit this is true, with this caveat: when the other woman in the discussion believes this, and acts accordingly. I have said this many times: I have legions of women friends, family members, mentors whom I adore. Not once did they 'dismiss' me for 'acting like a woman.' The second someone in the conversation does this, it's over. That is the essence of any 'ism' - the dismissiveness and disregard. That debate I had with CD Rogue about genres? It reminded me very much of a meeting I had recently and a colleague, who's pregnant, high-strung generally, was not being a good 'listener.' I am sure she would walk away thinking I was being how I was because I am a 'woman,' and I could easily dismiss her point of view because she's pregnant and...generally high strung. But though men can't get pregnant, they certainly can be passionate about their points-of-view. Are there gender distinctions? I hope so.  Should those distinctions be used as a blunt-force instrument of battle? I hope not. In Azeroth, in the meantime, I'll keep fighting for Jaina and Vereesa.


http://www.wowwiki.com/Vereesa_Windrunner


Vereesa Windrunner is an elven ranger who fought in the Second and Third Wars. She is the youngest sister of Sylvanas Windrunner who would later become the Dark Lady of the Forsaken, and Alleria Windrunner, a hero of the Second War.
Nearly all of Vereesa's extended family were killed by orcs in the Second War and in Prince Arthas'sinvasion of Quel'Thalas. Both of her sisters can be considered "alive" because Sylvanas still lives, albeit not technically "among the living", and Alleria Windrunner is likely still alive, but her whereabouts are not known.

2 comments:

  1. I think that is the essence of any ism. And I am glad you pointed that out. Though you have to forgive me for I know little of Alliance leaders.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was thinking about this even more this morning: think about it- if Lady Sylvanas is Vereesa's sister, and the Windrunner Clan's story is filled with tragedy, this family dynastic tales are well, just so darn intriguing! Sisters who have been torn apart by the will of corrupted and tyrannical men-- we all wonder where Alleria is. It would be an interesting lore post of why we tend to play one side versus another, how we identify our own personnas with those of a fantasy story.

      I want to know more about Magatha Grimtotem. http://www.wowwiki.com/Magatha_Grimtotem

      Delete

Thank you for your comment!